Recipe: Skillet Veggie Pot Pie
1 pkg of Bisquick Biscuit mix
1 crown of broccolli - finely chopped (1/2 for biscuits, 1/2 for pot pie mix)
1 can of cream of whatev (I used asparagus this time)
1/2 package of the heat and mash frozen potatoes
1/2 c each of various veggies of choice -or-
1 small package of frozen veg medley -or-
BOTH; I sliced baby carrots, chopped some fresh mushrooms and some broccoli
1 and 1/2 cs. veggie stock or water
1 tbs evoo
1/4 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
OPTIONAL: cubed garlic and onion tofu (WARNING: this looks mad bogus in the mix, but tastes good and adds protein, which is a good thing)
These thorough step by step instructions explain how to save time while preparing the meal:
1. Heat oven to 400, as instructed on back of biscuit package. Add the biscuit mix to a large bowl. Keep the bowl to the side as you prepare the rest of the meal.
2. Chop carrots
3. In a microwave safe bowl, add a tbs of water, the chopped carrots to the bottom of the bowl, and half the package of frozen potatoes. (DO NOT MIX TOGETHER) Microwave 3 minutes.
4. Finely chop broccolli into tiny pieces. Put half in the biscuit bowl, the other half to go in the pot pie mix
5. Chop mushroom and tofu
6. Thaw the frozen veggies by running some warm water into the package. Let sit for a bit.
7. Add evoo to large pot, heat med high. When the oil begins smoking, add mushrooms, tofu, broccolli, thyme, salt and pepper
8. Add microwaved potatoes to a large bowl. Add carrots to sauteeing mushrooms and tofu
9. Continue sautee until veggies are tender
10. While veggies & tofu sautee, open can of cream of asparagus. Add 1 heaping tbs into biscuit mix. Add the rest of the soup mix to the potatoes.
11. Mix soup, potatoes and 1/2 cup of stock or water in one bowl. Consistency will be somewhat thick (perfect for pot pie gravy!)
12. Add frozen veggies and potato/soup mix to pot of sauteeing veggies. Stir all ingredients well. Bring to a boil then simmer about 20 minutes (time it takes to make and bake biscuits, essentially). Stir occasionally. If consistency looks too thick, add more stock/water.
13. Add 1/2 cup stock or water to biscuit mix. Stir until mixture is wet. Make into eight (not the suggested six) biscuits and set on lightly greased cookie sheet.
14. When biscuits are cooked (package says "8-11 minutes" but I like them a little brown, so I left them in for 15 minutes), stir the veggie mix one more time and remove from heat.
15. Serve the veggie mix in a bowl and place the biscuit on top - that's the "pie" part of the skillet pot pie
THE END - enjoy